New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy

Hi-- my name is Andy and I just got back from Kona Hawaii where I helped my son expand his Aquaponics farm to produce 400 heads of lettuce and herbs per week. We constructed a 500 gal fish tank out of ferro cement, a 300 gal sump/rearing tank, four 40 ft new rafts for the plants and new spouting tables. We of course went to visit Fiendly farms where they are selling 400-500 lbs of lettuce per week to the Costco in Kona. I am back in Santa Barbara and looking to construct a small sysem just to feed the family and friends.

I see from the internet that there are at least three other farms in Southern Ca. I would love to come by and exchange ideas and info with anyone in So. Cal. I travel to the desert ( Indio) most every weekend so it would be easy to make a small side trip to say hello. Also I would really like to know if there is anyone who can supply me with Talapia to get my new tank going.

The farms that I saw in Hawaii have 70 water and the fish do well. In S.B. I feel I can keep the temp at that level for most of the year, but will have to have some kind of supplemental heating duing the winter. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Best to all--Andy

Andy,

Welcome. I've heard good things about www.friendlyaquaponics.com Trent Allsup a member of our site that was down to my place last week, has been out to see there operation and was very impressed. I've asked him to write up his experiences and impressions when he gets a chance, we all have lots to learn. Trent mentioned that there operation has a very practical and profitable setup and that they do many things differently than say UVI with its research focus. We would love to hear more.

Also, KellerW another member of this site is a commercial producer of Tilapia, contact him for a supply of fish. www.tilapiasource.com
    Last edited by nwestwood; 03-02-2010, 07:46 PM. Reason: correct my wrong assumption
    Neal Westwood
    www.utahaquaponics.com

Comment

I am sorry that my Intro might have bewen confusing. I was in Kona to help my son Chris (Costal View Aquaponics) expand his system. We added a 600 gal fish tank, a 500 gal sump tank and four 40 ft long troughs. While we were there we went to the other side of the island to visit Tim (Friendly Aquaponics) and buy some more Tilapia and some pond liner. Chris has designed his systen exactly like the one at Friendly, which is highly sucessful. I am currenly putting together my Micro system is Santa Barbara while waiting for spring weather to put in my first batch of fish. My system will be exactly like the Friendly Micro system. You can view this Friendly system on the internet. Andy

Comment

Sounds great Andy. Keep us posted on your progress!
        White Brook Tilapia Farm
        Kansas City, MO USA
        www.tilapiasource.com

Comment

Working...
        X