All male / Mostly Male Tilapia Hybrids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All male / Mostly Male Tilapia Hybrids

I was recently asked the following question on one of the other aquaponics forums. I thought it would be worthwhile to share this here as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoshRonin
    Hey Kellenw,

I heard in a podcast that you can breed two different types of tilapia and end up with fry that are mostly male. The host didn't say which breeds, just that it would be a great way to keep your fish from mating in your fish tanks. Was curious from an actual breeder if you've heard of this and what breeds do this? Thanks.

Hi Josh,

Yes, this is possible, and there are many different crosses that will work. However, you typically need pure parent stock if you want predictable results. Even then, sometimes particular strains within a species can produce varying results. Here are some examples of various study results with different crosses.

O. macrochir male crossed to female of:
    O. mossambicus - 100% male (Majumdar, 1983)
    O. spilurus - 97.9% male (Majumdar, 1983)
    O. niloticus - 100% male (Pruginin, 1967)

O. niloticus male crossed to female of:
    O. aureus - 75-95% males (Pruginin, 1967)
    O. horonorum - 75% males (Pruginin, 1967)

O. aureus male crossed to female of:
    O. niloticus - 50-100% male (Lee, 1979 and Wohlfarth, 1994)... unpredictable results in several studies
    O. niloticus (Stirling strain) - 100% male (Marengoni, 1998)
    O. niloticus (Uganda strain) - 96-100% male (Proginin, 1975)
    O. mossambicus - 100% male (Beardmore, 2001)

O. mossambicus male to female of:
    O. aureus - 89% male (Pierce, 1980)

O. hornorum male to female of:
    O. niloticus - 100% male (Lee, 1979 and Wohlfarth, 1990)

You can also cross many fish from the Tilapia genus with fish from the Oreochromis genus and get all males/mostly males.

White Brook Tilapia
    Kansas City, MO USA
    Live Tilapia Fingerlings and Fry for sale from annually inspected disease free hatchery for use in aquaculture, aquaponics, pond stocking and fish farming.
    White Brook Tilapia Farm
    Kansas City, MO USA
    www.tilapiasource.com

Thanks kellenw! I was recently asked a similar question and could not find an accurate answer.
    Currently: An intern at Friendly Aquaponics, Inc. helping with trainings, farm tours, operating USDA cert. organic commercial system, and constantly researching/experimenting/documenting for better commercial aquaponic systems. http://www.friendlyaquaponics.com
    In the future: Aquaponics expert; Owner of several commercial aquaponic systems that serve as funding for meditation centers & sustainability operations.

Comment

Hi Checkmate,

Glad you found it useful.
      White Brook Tilapia Farm
      Kansas City, MO USA
      www.tilapiasource.com

Comment

Working...
      X