Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for bluegill

Hi,
    I just started a chop system in my basement in SLC. My temp. down there ranges from 60-68 degrees, so after doing some research I'm thinking that bluegill are going to be the best fish for me to raise. I have 2 55gal fish tanks now, and was thinking about adding an ibc tote system in the future to put the bigger fish in.
    I'm looking for any feedback you guys might have on raising Bluegill, and if there are any better alternative fish that thrive at those temps..
    I also need referrals as to where to get the fish and a used food grade ibc tote locally.

Thanks!

The state publishes a list of all the licensed facilities. When I got my Bluegill I found them on the list. I'm not sure where to find it these days as I'm just doing rainbow trout from a local licensed source. Give Mark Martin from the Dept. of Ag a call 801-538-7046, He can either tell you who is licensed to sell bluegill or point you to the list.

My own experience with Bluegill was that they grow slower, have a lot of bones as a percent of weight. I've been able to grow rainbow trout in temps up to 74 in the day time. They are readily available, much cheaper, and grow faster.
    Neal Westwood
    www.utahaquaponics.com

Comment

Hi, thanks for the help. I replied but I'm not sure if it went through so I'll try again. I made a mistake on my temp range. I hadn't actually checked the temp down there in the Summer and assumed it was close to 70 degrees. I just checked and it is 76, too hot for trout right? I'm not wanting to heat or cool the water and that is one of the reasons it's in my basement and not in the hoophouse outside. This is frustrating, any other thoughts? Thanks

Comment

Hey Neal, I talked to Mark Martin yesterday. Nice guy. He gave me a phone # as an aquaponics referral and I just figured out that it was you. I'm not a blog person (I have no idea what blog this post or any of this stuff is and honestly I don't want to) I like to speak to people so I may call you in the future, I hope that's ok. He recommended using Wipers in my system and said that you had success with them. My hope was that I wouldn't have to order fish from Arkansas but if they are the best choice I will. He thought that Catfish would work as well but 60 degrees in the winter would be too cold. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, and a phone call would be best considering my blogging/posting future looks dim.

Thanks, Tim 801-631-5244

Comment

Working...
        X