Research Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research Project

Dear all, I am new to the message board but would like to introduce myself and ask a question from you all:

My name is Michael Amadori, I am a graduate student at the State University of NY- Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF), located in Syracuse, NY. For a thesis project I will be constructing an aquaponic system with two main goals:
    1) Can I feed Tilapia food waste from the cafeteria and get the same growth rates as commercial fish feed. The feed for the fish contributes over 50% of operating costs!
    2) What are the nutrient removal capabilities of two different plant growing systems. One will be duckweed growing in open water the other will be lettuce in a pea gravel flood and drain system.

The system will be set up like this:
    I will have two side-by-side systems one for food waste and another for commercial. Each system will have three barrels filled with approx 45 gallons (170 liters) and 15 fish each. The water from all three barrels will be fed via gravity to another barrel where a pump and heater will be located. The water (and solids) will then be pumped into a top 25-gallon tank where duckweed will be growing. The water (and any solids) will be constantly flowing out of the bottom of the duckweed tank and into a 50-gallon gravel bed. Once the water reaches the top of the gravel, a suction will activate and drain the water back into the fish tanks.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience feeding their fish with human food (bread, vegetables, fruits, meat, etc..). Any thoughts, idea, or criticisms you have are welcomed. Thanks and I look forward to being apart of this community.

Utah doesn't allow me to have Tilapia, so I can't help much. But good luck with your experiment.
    Neal Westwood
    www.utahaquaponics.com

Comment

Working...
    X